How to Build Your Own Solar Hot Water Heater
It is sad to note that despite the importance of our water heaters, it is not energy efficient and it is uses significant amount of energy than the rest of your household and electrical gadgets and devices combined? What measures would you take to tremendously reduce your electricity consumption? Should you be one of these men and women, then the best method to conserve energy in using water heaters is to construct your own solar hot water heater. Is this possible? To know more about it, then you are advised to continue reading this article.
Why Use Solar Energy in Powering Water Heaters?
Solar energy is utilized in this particular project simply because it is not only affordable but it is also deemed as among the cleanest renewable energy source these days. For the reason that solar energy is considered one of the cleanest sources of renewable energy and it does not produce carbon dioxide, you can protect Mother Nature in your own little way.
Researchers found that solar hot water heater has the capability of reducing your heating costs by around 50%. In case you have the desire to decrease your electricity consumption and bill monthly, then you can opt for building a solar water heater. No doubt, the construction of solar-powered water heater is the most efficient method to lower your monthly electricity consumption and bill. Well,going green is deemed as the surest and the most effective way of saving money. Listed underneath are steps on how to build a solar-powered water heater.
Ways on How the Solar Hot Water Heater Works
Just like the conventional water heaters, the solar-powered water heater has a heating coil and water tank. The water is pre-heated by trapping the rays of the sun inside the water tank and the heating coil. Once the water is heated, it then passively flows to your water pipes and to where the water is needed like the kitchen or the bathroom.
How to Construct Solar Hot Water Heater?
1. First, it is vital that you build a box. This can be done with the use of 2x4s of strong particle board or plywood for the exterior and frame of the box. It is suggested that you build a box that is suitable enough in containing your full-size water heater. Construct a box measuring around seven feet long, five feet tall and four feet wide. Property owners should also place the box at 30-degree angle in order to collect enough sunlight from the sun.
2. Make sure to insulate your water heater’s interior areas with the use of strong insulation materials.
3. It is also needed that you install reflective material above the insulation material with the use of roofing galvanize tin. Shape it like a huge metal cradle and secure it using staples or nails. This curved tin serves as a catcher that will catch the rays of the sun and then relay it to the water heater.
4. Be sure to place the water heater inside the gigantic box and don’t forget to cut holes to serve as the heater’s blow-out nozzle.
5. Make sure that you cover your gigantic box with the utilization of the outdoor-grade glass. Be sure to secure the box’s side with the use of wood sealant.
6. Lastly, connect your solar water heater to your home water heater.
Attributed by: A 10-Point Plan for Solutions (Without Being Overwhelmed)